The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Downpipes

So I am thinking of purchasing an apexi n1 downpipe because they claim it widens up so early it gives good turbo horsepower gains. But is there really a noticeable difference? can I just get some meghan racing one or does some have a used one?

IncorpoRatedX

i ran a megan 2g no cat downpipe on a 20g with a megan internal dump o2 housing, engine had 8.5:1 and 280 cams, i had zero complaints about the fitment or flow.

you're trying to measure something so tiny that you'd barely notice a difference in power curve

jepherz

Staff member
When you replace your entire exhaust, and then work on intake improvements, you'll start to feel a difference.

speedyvr4

I have a megan on my 1g for 3 years now and it works great. I have agarage custom one on the gvr4( till curve then 2/12" till cat)stock bend. the megan feels better on the butt dyno bet the dsm is lighter too. as far as the difference before and after, I was happy with both results. I think its a well worth mod for the money.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

As far as exhaust goes, the one thing that REALLY woke my car up more than any other was deleting the cat. I think apexi and megan downpipes are pretty comparable, from what i've seen/experienced.

Last edited:

Specter

What a coincidence, i was just wondering about the down pipe while logging in at the forum and saw this topic. I was wondering whats the diameter of the stock down pipe and to how much do you guys usually increase it to? Noticeable difference?

jepherz

Staff member
I think stock is maybe 1-7/8" ? Most people with stock style turbos (14b, 16g) go with 2.5" DP off the factory O2 housing.

So could I get a down pipe that is flanged 2.5" at one end and 3" at another because I have the off road pipe thats 3" but im not sure how to get it all connected up to my turbo.

bustedsm

Yes, they have downpipes that expand from 2.5" from the o2 housing to 3" at the cat-back....

BluFalcon

Road Race Engineering sells a downpipe for the guys running an EVO3 O2 housing. It comes off the outlet at 2.5 in then flares out to 3 in after the flex section. I'm using the 1G version of their DP in my GVR4 with a modified Megan racing 1G AWD catback exhaust.

mitsuturbo

Quoting MeanGreenVR4:
So I am thinking of purchasing an apexi n1 downpipe because they claim it widens up so early it gives good turbo horsepower gains. But is there really a noticeable difference? can I just get some meghan racing one or does some have a used one?

IDK how much it will help if you're still running a stock catback.

Specter

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Yes.
ESPECIALLY If it's a cat eliminator downpipe.

I just got my 2.5" down piping done. I must say its hell of an improvement. Probably the best work i have done on my car so far.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned